So, this old guy comes in the pawnshop and says, “Get chickens if you want your whole family to hate eggs.”
I laugh because I know what he means. We have chickens. We have an abundance of eggs. I have experienced his advice first hand.
We were so excited when we first got chickens. The Fresh eggs. Straight from the coop. And the adorable yard art! Who doesn’t want fluffy, feathery birds decorating their front yard?
We love chickens! We love eggs!
So, we got chickens. Suddenly eggs are coming out our windows and full egg cartons are overflowing on our counter-tops. Soon, eggs became part of our every meal. Scrambled eggs for breakfast, egg sandwiches for lunch, and egg salad for dinner. They are healthy, they are free, and they are 80 of them in my kitchen. Tomorrow there will be 95, because every day the hens lay another one. And the next day, there will be 15 more.
So you eat the eggs, and you eat the eggs, and you eat the eggs, and before you know it, you hate eggs.
We now sell our extras to friends and family so I don’t feel so pressured to use up all those lovely eggs. I no longer serve eggs at every meal. My family still likes eggs, although, there was a time I was perhaps overdoing it a bit. I can see why he said, “Get chickens if you want your whole family to hate eggs.”
For more on Chickens:
- Keep Chickens the Redneck Way
- Redneck Way Pros & Cons
- Yes, All Your Chickens are Going to Die
- How to Raise Meat Chickens
- Butchering Backyard Chickens
- Chicken Butchering Bloopers – Look Away!
- Grafting New Chickens into Your Flock
- Using Deep Litter to Keep Chickens Warm (with no lights in the coop)
- 6 Things You Don’t Know About Chickens
- 10 Reasons Everyone Should Consider Keeping Chickens
Be sure to join the email list (for free) here.
Learn more about becoming a member here.
What’s with the Memberships?
For those who want it all!
- Want to clean up your diet & get healthy?
- Renegade real food meals, groceries from your yard, bread-making like your great-grandma, videos, insider tips and more.
Joining is cheap & your pants will thank you. – Learn more here.